Thread: Get the guy a dog.............................bone

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score

Get the guy a dog.............................bone

Hello;
    I'm doing a resto-mod on a 1986 TRX250R, and I have a question.
    I purchased a dog bone from a vendor that said it was off a '86' 250R. Mine was misplaced so far. This is what I know:
    6 3/4" length center to center. That's 1986 right ? 87/88/89 is shorter right ????
    The dog bone end that appears to attach to the swinger has a 12mm bushing, 29.93mm seal inner diameter. The seals are the same as the ones that are in the cast U-shaped link that is attached to the frame, the new seals fit perfectly.
    The end of the dog bone that attaches to the grease-able bolt that goes through the shock, and the other end of the U-shaped Link that is attached to the frame. This is where the problem starts. The grease-able linkage bolt is 14mm, the bushing for it is 14mm ID and 19mm OD, The pressed bushing in the dog bone was 16mm ID, so I pressed it out and machined it for the new bushing diameter of 19mm, all good right ? Nope, now I have found that the seal inner diameter on the shock/grease-able bolt end of the dog bone is the same diameter as the swinger end (29.93mm) but the seals supplied by Pivot works are 32.8mm OD with an ID of 14mm, but won't fit into the dog bone seal Diameter of 29.93mm.
    Clear as mudd, right ?
    A new pivot Works Kit is being used to re-new this linkage. So maybe the wrong seal was supplied, But pivot Works does not list A seal with the OD od 30mm and an ID of 14mm.
    I've looked at the Honda Parts microfishe, and it shows a different part number for the seal, but does not list diameters.
    I believe that the dog bone I have is wrong, but what in the world did I get ?

I could just order 2 of the seals that fit the swinger end of the dog bone, and enlarge the ID from 12mm to 14mm and run it, but whats really going on. Honda built thousands of these, should be no magic happening here.
    Thoughts please.

DesertR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I also ran into this once before. Pretty sure it ended up being a 85 or 86 atc 250r dog bone.
    In loving memory of my brother Dustin #81 1986-2006
    1989 TRX 250R
    1988 TRX CT330R
    1987 TRX Duncan 265PV
    1986 TRX 250R
    1985 ATC 250R

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's a recent thread with info about the 85 atc linkage. Hope this helps: http://trx250r.org/threads/7693-1985...ls-rebuild-kit
    overkill is an often underrated achievement

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by broken1 View Post
    Here's a recent thread with info about the 85 atc linkage. Hope this helps: http://trx250r.org/threads/7693-1985...ls-rebuild-kit
    Thank you but I had read that thread before posting. While the bolt diameter differences are addressed, the differences in the dog bone are not. Going thru Pivot Works list of components i.e. bearings/seals/sleeves, I don't find anything listed with the dimension's that would match, which is why I pressed out the sleeve in the dog bone and machined it to match the new sleeve supplied in the pivot works kit.
    DesertR