Thread: Tranny Pics with questions

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score

Tranny Pics with questions

Ok, so I am about to start putting together a list of everything I need to start my big bore engine build. First I am going to send out the tranny for cryo treatment. So here are a couple of pics from my tranny gears that I need some opinions on.
    #1 some of the gears have some noticeable scarring/scratches on the mating surfaces and I need to know if these can be polished out or just leave them?
    #2 some of the engagement paw windows and tabs on the gears have noticeably worn the corners and I need to know if it is possible to clean these areas up or do I risk breaking through the surface hardness area?
    #3 are there any parts in the tranny that I should not send out for treatment?
    #4 I have access to microscopes and even an electron microscope as well as some other image enhancement scanners that will allow me get some more detailed views of everything. So is there any known areas of concern that I should really pay attention too as well?
    I know Arlen is making some of the gears for us but I don't want to stop using a part just because it is no longer perfect if it can still be trusted.
    Thanks for any help.
    IMG_2336.JPGIMG_2338.JPGIMG_2341.JPG

Pro-X
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lol i was afraid to open this thread !

Racer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Worth upgrading. I am not an expert on saying if those can be fixed or not. Definitely need some attention. There are some aftermarket transmission options out there. LED was working on a transfer set, and there is anot her guy building some.

Best regards
    -Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwiley View Post
    Ok, so I am about to start putting together a list of everything I need to start my big bore engine build.
    #2 some of the engagement paw windows and tabs on the gears have noticeably worn the corners and I need to know if it is possible to clean these areas up or do I risk breaking through the surface hardness area?
    You might want to look for a low hour atc motor tranny. For $200-$300 it is safe insurance. Those windows should not have damage to them. Not saying they won't work, just saying I would look for a better set of gears. Look into getting 1st or second back cut. This helps keep your motor in gear when launching in 1st or 2nd.
    Puma 408, Puma 431, Pilot 412, Puma 431, Mini-tooth 486 Trx450r
    89mm Mini tooth Shearer in frame pipe chromed! Mounted with Cascade QUIET Silencer
    All motors built by Pete at hybrid 360-281-2274 SIMPLY THE BEST PORT TIMINGS AVAILABLE
    Looking for Bling? http://www.tlr-online.com/trx250r/dress_up