Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hello.... glad to find a active 250r fourm

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score

hello.... glad to find a active 250r fourm

I have a used and abused what I think is a 89 250r, I was told the engine was a 310 but from what I can tell its stock, with a 66mm bore I have not measured the stroke yet, It has a cool head and boyesen reeds, some back woods port job on the cylinder that is on the quad and the other two cylinders also have some back woods port job one is a 67mm bore, it had a what I believe is stock 35mm carb. with incorrect jets, it has some leager arms with leaking works CO's I have started to tear it down and collect parts to put it back together with my 3 year old son. He loves taking the nuts and bolts off once I break them loose. I have a long list of parts I am hunting down a lot of them are "wants" which are dragging the build out but that is ok with me. I should have the frame stripped and ready to drop off for powder coating next week. I have a 38mm carb and some other odds and ends coming from ESR hopefully in the next month or so I can afford to either have the works CO's sent out or buy a front/rear elka setup. Hope to have this thing where I can ride it before the end of summer. Thanks for having me and reading my random post.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by dirtygerman; 05-27-2016 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added photos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thread moved @dirtygerman

Great way to start off your membership! LOL

Welcome to the site and let's see some pics of that 250r
    LED Performance 350 Sphynx - XC Machine
    Laeger's-Roll-GThunder-HLS-PEP-HiPer-GBC

RIP Lazarus Sommers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Welcome to the site everyone here is very helpful and willing to help posts pics we all love pics
    99 Lsr TRX310R
    87 250r currently getting a 363 sphynx built by Pete @ hybrid engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Welcome and have fun with your new project. It will be well worth the time and effort once you are done. Plenty of people here to help.

Allen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Welcome to the site. Great group of guys here. You should start a build thread and Show some pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Welcome aboard. It's cool you little boy likes "helping" work on your R. I have a boy thats almost 3 & he likes to help work on them too but he also likes to hide my tools.
    overkill is an often underrated achievement

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone07 View Post
    Thread moved @dirtygerman

Great way to start off your membership! LOL

Welcome to the site and let's see some pics of that 250r
    thank you for moving my thread lol... And thank you everyone for the friendly welcome. A lot of other forums I am part of require flame suits lol...

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by broken1 View Post
    Welcome aboard. It's cool you little boy likes "helping" work on your R. I have a boy thats almost 3 & he likes to help work on them too but he also likes to hide my tools.
    Yeah my son also likes to hide my tools, this past week I bought this handy socket rack that twist locks he has not figured it out "yet" once he sees me take a socket off of it he will have it figured out lol... I will try my best to be sneaky about it for the next few days.

I will post some pictures tomorrow at work, I could not get the swing arm bolt out with the little tools I have at the house. The swing arm and steering shaft and a few isolators are all that's left before I drop it off for powder coating.

Pro-X
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    welcome to the site!!!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    welcome LOL my kids do the same thing, the 2 year old hid my ratchet i asked the 4 yr old where the other one put it and she pointed to the exhaust tip of my wifes 4 stroke LOL so i had to tip it up on the back end to get my sooty ratchet back.

build threads with progression pics are always welcomed and enjoyed here too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiiysr View Post
    Yup i sucked the head. taste like dirt.

Pro-X
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Welcome to the site, I went from works to elks big difference in ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Welcome to our new 250r brother. Take a pic before to get that before and after theme going. We all like to help each other if you have any questions or think something is not on the straight up. No competition here except for QOTM. Winners get a $100 of parts from ESR.
    Puma 408, Puma 431, Pilot 412, Puma 431, Mini-tooth 486 Trx450r
    89mm Mini tooth Shearer in frame pipe chromed! Mounted with Cascade QUIET Silencer
    All motors built by Pete at hybrid 360-281-2274 SIMPLY THE BEST PORT TIMINGS AVAILABLE
    Looking for Bling? http://www.tlr-online.com/trx250r/dress_up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Welcome to the site!

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    I attempted to post some pictures from my iPhone guess they posted sideways 😔
    I do have some photos from when I first bought it but they are on my old phone once I recover those photos I'll do a build thread. I greatly appericate the kind welcoming!

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Ok, so after some self educating it looks like my frame is a 87 or later.

my vin # is JH3TE1203GC005769
    not sure on the vin break down yet, I haven't cared to research the year until I started looking at frame guesset plate kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygerman View Post
    Ok, so after some self educating it looks like my frame is a 87 or later.

my vin # is JH3TE1203GC005769
    not sure on the vin break down yet, I haven't cared to research the year until I started looking at frame guesset plate kit.
    You have a 86 frame there
    99 Lsr TRX310R
    87 250r currently getting a 363 sphynx built by Pete @ hybrid engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwraymond6 View Post
    Yep like Jeremy said it's an 86 frame. The front engine mounts are specific to the 86 frame. 87-89 frames have a different front mount. It won't take you long to figure out the differences with all the info on this great site.
    overkill is an often underrated achievement

Racer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    As far as shocks, if you buy used you are going to need to get them serviced and revalve for your setup. If you are a good rider you will notice a difference from a works to an elka. A fresh set of Works I for the typical rider is going to be a lot of fun to ride on. Huge improvement over stock. If you are going to be seriously smashing on your bike, then you will want to step up to some PEP, Elks or Axis...there are a few other high end shock companies,their name eludes me at the moment.

Welcome and I am glad you are being a good dad. I wish I could have had those opportunities with my father.

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwraymond6 View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up for me, I feel more confident ordering the correct gusset kit from the vender here on the forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by broken1 View Post
    Yep like Jeremy said it's an 86 frame. The front engine mounts are specific to the 86 frame. 87-89 frames have a different front mount. It won't take you long to figure out the differences with all the info on this great site.
    I looked after reading your post I see what you are refurring to now, I am educating myself more on the 250r every time I log in on this forum lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndmoto View Post
    As far as shocks, if you buy used you are going to need to get them serviced and revalve for your setup. If you are a good rider you will notice a difference from a works to an elka. A fresh set of Works I for the typical rider is going to be a lot of fun to ride on. Huge improvement over stock. If you are going to be seriously smashing on your bike, then you will want to step up to some PEP, Elks or Axis...there are a few other high end shock companies,their name eludes me at the moment. I would like to think I will be a average rider, I raced motorcross from 7 years old to my teenage years, but that's been like 13/14ish years lol So I have a lot to relearn and get back into shape, I plan on riding in the woods I do not see any large doubles in my future. I think the deal I found on galaxy for the Elka stage3's is what I will end up going with.

Welcome and I am glad you are being a good dad. I wish I could have had those opportunities with my father.
    The last three years have been not so perfect, I was in a near fatal car crash two years ago and the last year I have been working 16/18 hour days. So the last month I have decided it's not worth missing these memories and now spending a lot more time at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygerman View Post
    I have decided it's not worth missing these memories and now spending a lot more time at home.
    Welcome. You have made the best decision, you could ever make. Precious moments.
    LONG LIVE THE "R's"