Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone figured out a lighting option for the CR250 Ignition?

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score

Anyone figured out a lighting option for the CR250 Ignition?

Ive been considering upgrading to the CR igniton system, pending I can find a decent 01 for a good price. I recently purchased a high output stator, rectifier and battery pack from Ricky Stator so I can run an led headlight. We do a lot of dune night riding so the light is a must. When Dave built my out of frame pipe, we were doing some igniton dyno testing with Nico's ignition on Dave's ignition dyno. It seemed like my bike kind of emitted a weak spark. Ive been told by several that the 01 CR would really wake up my R. Just dont know if I should take the leap of faith with CR and lose my lights. Im no electrician by any means, but I thought there might be some way to run the led light with the bulk of the power coming from the battery pack.

Thanks guys, Clay

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How.long does a atv battery last with a LED headlight and tail light

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Racer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Service Honda builds a cr 500 set up with light that bolts to the esr 01 ignition plate but it's close to 1000.00 bucks.

Pro-X
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's would be a tad pricey just to power a light !

Racer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Service Honda looks like rip off to me, they want 500.00+ for their vortex cdi. I think u can get a fully adjustable msd for way cheaper. Msd don't have lite set up tho.

Racer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Depends on the current draw of the lights and the amp hours of the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by pantera1975 View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i set up a small motorcycle battery from my daughters 90cc quad. the battery had a dead cell and was on its last legs. i charged it up and hooked up a 6" single row led bar and let it sit. i think it was around 16 hrs iirc before it got too dim to be usable.
    Facebook.com/toonutzcreations

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score

The ricky stator setup I am using lasts a pretty long time. I havent ever turned the light on and just let it sit to see how long it would take to drain it but I figure you could get a solid days worth of riding out of it powering just the headlight and a single led taillight. I think that may be the route I end up going with, is using a cr igniton and just running the headlight and tail off of the battery and charging it off a trickle charger at the end of the day. Might be able to get two days worth of night riding only out of a single charge I figure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turkey_drag View Post
    The ricky stator setup I am using lasts a pretty long time. I havent ever turned the light on and just let it sit to see how long it would take to drain it but I figure you could get a solid days worth of riding out of it powering just the headlight and a single led taillight. I think that may be the route I end up going with, is using a cr igniton and just running the headlight and tail off of the battery and charging it off a trickle charger at the end of the day. Might be able to get two days worth of night riding only out of a single charge I figure.
    you would easily get a weekend worth of charge out of one battery. its not like your running the light for any more than a couple hrs a night

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dem3500 View Post
    you would easily get a weekend worth of charge out of one battery. its not like your running the light for any more than a couple hrs a night
    Thats kind of what I figured but dont have any evidence to back it up. We do some night riding in the dunes, probably the most being 3 or 4 hours of night riding, and its not solid riding either. We will ride a little, then sit and bullshit, then repeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turkey_drag View Post
    Thats kind of what I figured but dont have any evidence to back it up. We do some night riding in the dunes, probably the most being 3 or 4 hours of night riding, and its not solid riding either. We will ride a little, then sit and bullshit, then repeat.
    from the testing i did with a crappy battery you could probably ride 4 days worth of on/off night riding one one charge. whenever i get around to it thats what im going to put on mine. shori has lithium batterys that are super light. thats what im going to get

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Ballistic has a real nice battery also, small an light.
    Arens, Houser, Axis, BHP 363

Racer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    I've been thinking about doing some sort of LED bar also just havnt got
    Around to it yet. Id like to try and make one that fills the "scoop" on the front hood with leds and make a battery compartment under the rear grab bar with a low pro battery so it does t look big or bulky. it would be cool to have them on a battery also because you could run them when the engine is off

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score

That's what I did. Runs off a 9amp scooter battery that had a trickle charger plug on it that I can charge when not riding.

Haven't tested how long it works but it should run 3 hrs, which is more then 1 ride for my group.

Edit: I went with a battery because it messes with nothing no reliability issues and in 15 minutes I can go back to having no lights no battery and head off to the race track.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sangheraent; 04-09-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    you might need to sacrifice lights for performance. lights are like reverse, you don't really need it, but it is a luxury to have.

john

Rider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Unless...you know... you ride at night

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    I used electrosport esl990 lighting stator with stock trx headlight, and ac rectifier, and it works flawlessly. No battery needed. May not be what your looking for, but it's an option, and works pretty darn well for me. For me it's plenty of light with the high beam on, and requires no modification. Ran it to stock light, and switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    I used electrosport esl990 lighting stator with stock trx headlight, and ac rectifier, and it works flawlessly. No battery needed. May not be what your looking for, but it's an option, and works pretty darn well for me. For me it's plenty of light with the high beam on, and requires no modification. Ran it to stock light, and switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    I bought the Rickey stator battery, used cr 500 lighted stator with the fixed cdi which is around $500.(used). I was running baja designs 8" and 10" led bars and a small led taillight. I had the 8" and tailight on one switch and the 10" on a separate switch. The battery would not power the 8" and 10" at the same time with the engine off, but powered them both perfectly with the engine running. I used this setup for probably 3 hrs of night riding and while about 3 hrs into a day ride (lights off) the stator quit giving spark and left me stranded. The cr 500 stator would backfire on shutoff, would not start as well or deliver all around power as well as the cr 250.
    It goes fast over bumps too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i havent looked too far into it but i think using the 02+ cr250 ignition you can use the power valve power to light a led. or atleast use it like an alternator. like i said i havent looked too deep into it so dont quote me on anything