Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ignition Problem - Opinions on CDI boxes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 86Rrider View Post
    My one worry about going with the CR ignition is I've read and been told that with the smaller flywheel, my engine will struggle some on the bottom end? I say this for I do a lot of slow-speed technical riding, so if the smaller flywheel is going to cause more stalling on me, I'd rather stick with stock. Tell me if I'm wrong on that or not. I like the idea of everything else that the CR ignition offers though. What is the best way to do this conversion? Order all OEM Honda parts then the adaptor plate from ESR? What is the true difference with the CR set-up? Is it just the digital CDI? Or are other parts way different/better than stock TRX?
    i believe the smaller flywheel is a misconception. i had a number of expensive issues with OEM trx250r ignition and switched to the cr and wish it would of been my first move. The reliability of the cr ignition alone is worth the cost.

also, the is an obvious boost in throttle response. the only issue i see might be some feel the need for more clutch work. this is irrelevant because a two stroke requires clutch to get the best performance.

john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Feedback Score

Ignition Problem - Opinions on CDI boxes

if u stall it with the cr flywheel you would have stalled it with the stock flywheel anyway. the throttle response is noticeable and the reliability of modern electronics is just a given.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiiysr View Post
    Yup i sucked the head. taste like dirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input guys! You really have me leaning to the CR set-up now. hickwheeler - PM coming at ya! So, can you tell me now, what is the common way to get a CR set-up? Is it to buy all the OEM Honda parts from a dealer, then just the adaptor plate from ESR? Or does someone out there offer up a "kit" of some form?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    OK, I did a bunch of research over the week-end and I think I am just going to buy a new igniter coil. The CR ignition sounds great for performance and reliability, but no lighting coil. Now I read a few posts by folks on this side at other sites from over the years and seen the ideas for small battery packs/batteries, rectifiers and other wiring gizmos to get lights, but I like the simplistic system that my machine came with. So the $300 ~ $600 price tag to switch to a CR ignition, then another $100 or less to get lights again, I'm just going to fix what I currently have. Thanks for all the input guys! You helped me make a decision on this.

Racer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    I want to see some dyno numbers of a cr ignition. I am not sold on them, so I am with you. Run the OE.

Pro-X
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    2nd moto Jason has seen me start my sphinx 363 on a stock ignition and I'm not a big guy, if you can' start these big bore 363> on a stock ignition go to the gym.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 86Rrider View Post
    OK, I did a bunch of research over the week-end and I think I am just going to buy a new igniter coil. The CR ignition sounds great for performance and reliability, but no lighting coil. Now I read a few posts by folks on this side at other sites from over the years and seen the ideas for small battery packs/batteries, rectifiers and other wiring gizmos to get lights, but I like the simplistic system that my machine came with. So the $300 ~ $600 price tag to switch to a CR ignition, then another $100 or less to get lights again, I'm just going to fix what I currently have. Thanks for all the input guys! You helped me make a decision on this.
    thanks for not picking up the cr ign hickwheeler offered u, i picked it up from him last week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiiysr View Post
    Yup i sucked the head. taste like dirt.

Racer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeans1 View Post
    2nd moto Jason has seen me start my sphinx 363 on a stock ignition and I'm not a big guy, if you can' start these big bore 363> on a stock ignition go to the gym.
    Coming from a guy that hucks logs for a living. I need to go to the gym to keep up with you!

Pro-X
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Ignition Problem - Opinions on CDI boxes

It would take more than going to the gym for me to keep up with a guy like skeans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    I did not get around to following up with this post as to how I fixed my ignition issue: I finally got it diagnosed down to the igniter coil is what went "bad" on me. I swapped out my stator/igniter from my nephew's '87 and my machine would fire on the first kick. So I ended up buying a used stock stator/igniter off e-bay and it has performed flawlessly since. I'm planning on buying one of the re-pop igniter coils and attaching it to my original coil assembly as a back-up in the future. Again, thank you guys for all your replies and insight!