Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil???

Racer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritaces View Post
    What makes castor good? Thanks Ryan, I've always used amsoil
    As the temperature goes up mineral and synthetics oils get thinner and thinner up to the point where they turn to ash.

Castor oil gets thinner up to about 300 degrees and then starts to get thicker at the higher temperature where other oils are starting to loose their lubricating properties. Castor is able to lubricate well up to the temperature just before it turns to ash. The goo or brown varnish from castor is still a good lubricant at extremely high temperatures.

Castor will still make good power in oil ratios at 5:1 when properly tuned

Most of the synthetics I have tested will not make good power at ratios richer than about 30:1 when optimally tuned.

The high ignition temperature of the synthetics seems to hinders the initiation of the combustion process when used richer than about 30:1. The castor oil's lower ignition temperature does not seem to hinder the combustion process or the power. Some of the small model airplane fuels contain as much as 20% castor. 20% oil is a 5:1 ratio.

You will never hurt a two stroke engine by using a lot of oil in the fuel when properly tuned.
    Last edited by Jerry Hall; 11-10-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Racer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hall View Post
    Mineral and synthetics oils get thinner and thinner up to the point where they turn to ash.

Castor oil gets thinner up to about 300 degrees and then starts to get thicker at the higher temperature where other oils are starting to loose their lubricating properties. Castor is able to lubricate well up to the temperature just before it turns to ash. The goo or brown varnish from castor is still a good lubricant at extremely high temperatures.

Castor will still make good power in oil ratios at 5:1 when properly tuned

Most of the synthetics I have tested will not make good power at ratios richer than about 30:1 when optimally tuned.

The high ignition temperature of the synthetics seems to hinders the initiation of the combustion process when used richer than about 30:1. The castor oil's lower ignition temperature does not seem to hinder the combustion process or the power. Some of the small model airplane fuels contain as much as 20% castor. 20% oil is a 5:1 ratio.

You will never hurt a two stroke engine by using a lot of oil in the fuel when properly tuned.
    It seems most two stoke engine builders are of the same belief,do you believe that to much oil would cause sticky rings on motors with a lot of hours and do you believe that most of the oil is dropped out of the mix and left in the bottom end

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    this is an excellent article:

http://airfoolers.com/?page_id=385

john

Racer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs003 View Post
    this is an excellent article:

http://airfoolers.com/?page_id=385

john
    thanks john ,that's kinda what Im referring too.most people believe that the oil eventualy gets burned up in the combustion chamber,but I believe a lot of it is lost thru the exhaust port from the bottom side and was wanting others opinions on that

Pro-X
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    if the engine is tuned good i suspect its mostly burned up. could probly mount a piece of plastic or something behind the muffler to see . if theres black shit running down the muffler obviously its not getting burned
    to much power is almost enough

Racer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    My experience has shown that the premix oil ratio is directly related to the amount of time you spend at full throttle and the RPM the engine is turning while at full throttle.

Engine displacement does not have much to do with the oil ratio your engine needs. It depends upon how you operate your engine. The oil ratio primarily depends upon the air velocity flowing through the engine and the length of time the air velocity is high. The maximum air velocity is directly related to peak piston velocity. In general, a 500 single cylinder engine running at 7500 RPM may produce air velocities similar to a 125cc engine running near its maximum RPM. This is because their maximum piston velocities are similar even though the 500 cc single's RPM may be almost half of that of the 125 cc engine.

If you want to lubricate you two-stroke adequately, mix the fuel for the most severe operating conditions that you may subject your engine to. Engines that have oil injections systems attempt to provide the optimum amount of lubrication by metering oil to the engine based upon engine RPM and throttle position.

The majority of the oil in the fuel burns at wide open throttle when the engine is in the power band. After a dyno session where many full throttle pulls were made, the inside of the stinger or mufflers will be all almost soot free and there will not be any oily residue. Partial throttle and low RPM operation will show that a lot of the oil passes through the engine "un-burned".

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I got a lot of different takes on what to use? So......if I run inceptor, will it be better than dominator or continue to run dominator?
    86 "spiritshine" in progress

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got a lot of different takes on what to use? So......if I run inceptor, will it be better than dominator or continue to run dominator?
    Jon, "better" is a relative word depending on the purpose of the oil in how you are going to use. In my opinion, and Amsoil's as well, that if you are not racing, it is better to run Interceptor. But it certainly won't hurt you to run Dominator. Interceptor burns cleaner and produces less carbon build up on the piston and power valve (if you have one). With that said, if you are consistently ringing the crap out of the motor,I mean really giving it hell alot, topping out the rpms, then I would run the Dominator. I will add one last thing. I am running Dominator in my ESR 310pv @50:1, and I recently took my power valve off to clean it after 2013 year of racing and also look a look at the piston top. I was actually kinda surprised that there wasn't more build up than there was. It really wasn't bad at all. There was just a little spooge on the inside of the power valve and the piston top was pretty clean. Just an observation I thought I would share.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    thanks Ryan and I will prolly run the dominator then because I like to get down

Sphynx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I run 40:1 dominator in my vs c 12 and I run amsoil ow-40 in my trans and I love it. When I pulled the clutch cover off to put on my Hinson questions on the lsr ct265 motor, it's been a lot of races on that motor and man that clutch have basket looks just like the day I installed it. And my clutch last longer with this oil as well. I'm loving it, and I do change my oil in my trani about every other weekend when riding alot or after every weekend of racing for sure just like my uni filter was changed and all outer wears as well.
    01 Lsr 250r
    00 Walsh 250r

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    In my original 86 ATC 250R I myself put on 2000 miles in summer of 2010 trail riding using klotz techinaplate oil and then then had BDT do the motor the original owner said he used klots since new. original bore but it may have had new piston installed at some time but it was a OEM one yet. Carlos said to me "man that motor had alot of use but looked good" And it ran 91 pump gas its whole life too.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i know a lot of people run klotz, but ever since i smelled klotz with benol i dont like it. It made me wanna puke LOL

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    Jon, I run amsoil dominator as well in all of my 2 stroke machines, even my Stihl Saws and backpack blower. I mix 50:1 for the power equipment and 30:1 on my R. If you think Klotz smells bad you should smell amsoil gear oil. Sweet baby jesus does that stuff stink

-Brett-
    86 TRX250R
    Gusseted Frame, Pro-X/ESR 310 Cyl, 01 CR250 Ignition, Boyesen Rad Valve, LRD Team Pipe/Silencer, Uni filter, 38mm Air Stryker, 89 Update, Powdered Ign & Clutch Covers, Fullbores, 450R Front Brakes/Hubs, LSR Anti-Fade, LSR +2/+1 A-Arms, Durablue +2/+4 Axle, AC Pro-Pegs, Works Triple Rates w/ Rezzies, OMF Rad Scoops and Louver, Walsh Radiator, Silicone Hoses, Galfer Rotors, Braided Lines, ESR Billet Kicker, Counterbalancer holder and Temp Gauge

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Jon, I run amsoil dominator as well in all of my 2 stroke machines, even my Stihl Saws and backpack blower. I mix 50:1 for the power equipment and 30:1 on my R. If you think Klotz smells bad you should smell amsoil gear oil. Sweet baby jesus does that stuff stink

-Brett-
    I don't think there is a gear oil in the world that doesn't stink like hammered dog crap! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feedback Score
    i smelled klotz with benol i dont like it. It made me wanna puke LOL
    You must have a weak stomach! Techniplate with race fuel, it's a formidable scent... It stings the nostrils. In a good way.
    LONG LIVE THE "R's"